Firm Provides Representation of Labor Unions in California
L.A. employment attorney handles CBA negotiations and grievances
For decades, labor unions have been a force for good throughout the United States. However, the gains have not come easily as businesses use a wide range of legal and illegal methods to keep workers from organizing and improving their situation. The Law Offices of Victor Manrique in Los Angeles represents unions and their members in a full range of legal matters. Whether you’re having trouble getting a union started or are engaged in the collective bargaining process, I will help you pursue your goal. My firm also assists with discharge and disciplinary issues, contract interpretation and actions to stop unfair labor practices.
Protecting the rights of active and prospective union members
My firm counsels board members, union stewards, labor activists and rank-and-file employees on legal matters pertaining to:
- Organizing and elections — Sometimes, a union’s toughest fight is to get certified in the first place. Frequently, business will take aggressive action to stop a union from forming. I work with employees who are interested in organizing as well as established unions who seek counsel on leadership elections and other votes.
- Collective bargaining — In negotiations and mediation sessions with management, I use my knowledge and experience to help unions secure favorable terms in a collectively bargained agreement.
- Contract interpretation and enforcement — It can take months, or even years, to reach consensus on a collective bargaining agreement. However, unless you can enforce CBA terms effectively, all of that work might be for nothing. Having handled labor matters for decades, I help unions and individual employees interpret contractual language so that they have a clear perspective on their rights. If a grievance is warranted, my firm can represent you and walk you through each step of the process.
- Disciplinary actions — A key element of most union contracts is the framework established to govern employee discipline and discharges. In circumstances where an employee is being punished for alleged misconduct, I thoroughly review the relevant procedures to stop employers from abusing their power. You can also count on me for sound advice if there is a dispute over layoffs.
- Union leadership — The people in charge of a union have a fiduciary responsibility to do what is best for the rank and file. My firm counsels leadership and workers if questions exist over proper stewardship of the union.
Regardless of the size of your union or whether you work in the public or private sector, you can rely on me for strong guidance and determined advocacy.
What is an unfair labor practice?
California law includes formidable protection for unions and their workers. Numerous schemes frequently utilized by management to discourage union membership are prohibited. For example, a company may not threaten adverse action against employees who join a union. Likewise, management cannot offer rewards or workplace advantages to those who refuse to sign up. If your boss is asking harassing questions about your intentions or taking any other steps to thwart people from forming or joining a union, my firm is here for you.
Contact a strong California labor union lawyer to schedule a consultation
The Law Offices of Victor Manrique in Los Angeles provides comprehensive legal counsel to labor unions and their members. For a consultation regarding your particular concerns, please call 213-487-4733 or contact me online.